Capitol Hill Riots January 6th, 2021 (S02 - Special Episode)
On a day that will mark US history as one of the darkest days, a group of Pres. Trump supporters rioted the Capitol Hill building on the day that the congress was set to certify the presidential election that Joe Biden won on Nov. 3rd, 2020 in a violent attempt to overturn his defeat. After breaching multiple police perimeters, they occupied, vandalized, and ransacked parts of the building for more than four hours. The insurrection, that was infuriated by Pres. Trump himself weeks before and in a rally right before it happened, led to the evacuation and lockdown of the Capitol building and disrupted a joint session of Congress assembled to count the electoral votes and formalize Joe Biden's election victory.
The result of that riot was a significant damage to the capitol building, looting of many properties including two laptops one of which belongs to the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi that contains high classified government data, the delay of one of the most important Democratic processes in the USA and most importantly the loss of 5 lives including one of the Capitol’s Police officers and one rioter who was a decorated US veteran. In that dark day we witnessed the US democracy being under siege and the fire and fury of what words can do beyond being just tweets and social posts.
- 0:00 Podcast Intro & Episode Title
- 1:13 Opening remarks
- 4:31 The beginning: How we received the news that day
- 8:48 How did the event unfolded that day.
- 18:50 How things led to this event in the weeks before and how Pres. Trump’s tweets and speeches infuriated it and the mental state of the rioters at the time of the attack (refer to our mental health episode).
- 29:08 The US Election results and how it affected the Trump supporters to believe that their *freedom* is under attack (refer to our episode on US elections).
- 39:14 How Social Platforms were used to organize this event and how they are fighting now against this type of hate and the spread of misinformation (refer to our episode on misinformation).
- 48:52 Closing Remarks
Referral Episodes Index
Episode Title: Social Platforms Responsibility Against the Spread of Misinformation - Ep 10
Publishing Date: Jun 6, 2020
Episode URL: http://podcast.hqmedia.ca/index.php?post/2020/06/03/Social-Platforms-Responsibility-Against-the-Spread-of-Misinformation-%28S01-E10%29
YouTube URL: https://youtu.be/Me4mkbHkqto
Episode Title: The United States Elections 2020 (Special live Episode)
Publishing Date: Nov 8, 2020
Episode URL: http://podcast.hqmedia.ca/index.php?post/2020/11/07/The-Unites-States-Elections-2020-%28S1-Special%29
YouTube URL: https://youtu.be/Sbqe4KniS2E
Episode Title: Privacy in the 21st Century - Ep 6
Publishing Date: May 9, 2020
Episode URL: http://podcast.hqmedia.ca/index.php?post/2020/05/06/Privacy-in-the-21st-Century-%28S01-E06%29
YouTube URL: https://youtu.be/QRB_04AX7As
Episode Title: Mental Health and the Role of Society to Combat it - Ep 4
Publishing Date: Apr 25, 2020
Episode URL: http://podcast.hqmedia.ca/index.php?post/2020/04/25/Mental-Health-and-the-Role-of-Society-to-Combat-it-%28S01-E04%29
YouTube URL: https://youtu.be/6Z9v8gsukGI